Listening Styles Leadership Competency & Interpersonal Adeptness Paper | savvyessaywriters.us
Leaders are often busy, production oriented, and responsible for outcomes. Therefore, it is not surprising that they are also often criticized for not listening well. Leaders who develop their listening skills and use appropriate listening styles often positively influence organizational culture and employee motivation. For this Application, you will explore three different listening styles and consider how each impacts leader-follower relationships.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review the course media “Leadership Competency: Interpersonal Adeptness,” with Drs. Thomas and Miller. Focus on reactive, explorative, and attentive listening styles.
- Think about how each listening style is different and how each style might elicit different responses.
- Reflect on how the use of each listening style might positively or negatively impact the relationships between leaders and followers.
The assignment: (1–2 pages)
- Analyze differences between reactive, explorative, and attentive listening.
- Explain how each listening style might positively and/or negatively impact relationships between leaders and followers. Be specific.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation.
- Article: Farrington, E.L. (2008). Use Emotional Intelligence to improve your work. Women in Higher Education,17(6), 19-20.
Use the Proquest database, and search using the article’s Accession Number: 10608303
- Article: Goleman, D. (2004). What makes a leader? Harvard Business Review, 82(1), 82-91.
Retrieved from https://hbsp.harvard.edu/tu/f89df7e2
- Article: Perks, J. (2008). How to”develop emotional intelligence. People Management, 14(9), 42.
Use the Business Source Premier database, and search using the article’s Accession Number: 32456304
- Article: Ruderman, M. N., Hannum, K., Leslie, J. B., & Steed, J. L. (2001). Making the connection: Leadership skills and emotional intelligence. Retrieved on October 17, 2008, from http://media.wiley.com/assets/51/46/jrnls_jb_lia_21_5_ruderman.pdf